Whether taking in the beauty as you go horseback riding in Oahu on the sandy shores or through the countryside, there’s nothing better than exploring Oahu’s magic.
There’s no better place to experience and explore the lush mountains and valleys that Oahu offers. It doesn’t matter if you are a first-time rider or an experienced rider.
Riding through the expansive lush forests, valleys, and open land will highlight your trip. Although horseback riding might seem like another thing to do in Hawaii, ranching and horseback riding dates back to the 1830s.
The original Paniolos and Hawaiian cowboys were taught how to ride, rope, and herd by Mexican Spanish cowboys brought in by King Kamehameha III.
Today, visitors and locals can enjoy all that Hawaii offers on horseback, either on privately owned working ranches or on hotel tours.
What Do You Expect
Although different ranches run on different itineraries and locations, several similarities can give you a rough idea of what to expect.
- The rides take place in groups, although the group size might differ, and unless stated, the rides usually ride out with several people in them.
- No experience is needed. Whether you are a first-time rider or someone whos been riding for 30 years, the wranglers are keen to choose a horse perfect for you and your riding capabilities.
- Most ranches cater to all sizes and ages, with some offering rides for kids aged six and below. Always check with the outfitter beforehand.
- Rides take between 1 and 2 hours, with some offering sunset and sunrise rides.
- You need to wear long sleeves and no open-toed shoes for your safety, especially for rides that traverse through forests.
- It’s always a good idea to bring a rain poncho with you when you plan on going for your ride. The chances of it raining during your ride are high.
Here are some of our favorite locations to enjoy all that Oahu offers.
Happy Trails Horseback Rides
Escaping from the hustle and bustle of everyday life has never been easier. This slice of paradise is nestled on top of a hilltop overlooking Waimea Valley. From the friendly, knowledgeable wranglers to their well-footed horses, you will have fun.
Whether you are an experienced rider looking for a more challenging trail or a first-timer, the wranglers will choose a horse according to your abilities and the trails. The rides are through lush forests, organic wild fruit orchards, tree canopies, and fern-laced valleys.
Happy trails offer two riding packages at the following rates.
- 1 ½ hour ride is $109
- 2-hour ride is $129
What To Know
- The minimum age requirement is 6 yrs, and the maximum weight limit is 225 lbs or 103kg.
- One rider per horse, no double riding
- They are open six days a week except on Wednesdays
- Reservations are required and can be done directly on their website.
Address: 59-231 Pupukea Road Haleiwa, HI 96712
Phone: (808) 638-RIDE (7433)
Email: [email protected]
Kualoa Ranch Horseback Rides
There is nothing better than riding on the majestic plains of Oahu, becoming one with nature, and fiding your Ohana all at the same time. Its known for its gorgeous location and different activities at the ranch, making it the perfect place to reignite your love for horses.
The Ko’olau mountains, vast valleys, and picturesque ocean views make the perfect picture moments. In addition, the rides go through the quiet forest where you will experience Kualoa and the iconic Ka’a’awa “Jurassic” valley.
Kualoa Ranch was also the film location of the Jurassic Franchise, where adventure seekers looking to explore more can go on the Jurassic Adventure Tour.
What They Offer
- 2-hour ATV multi-passenger rides, starting at $144.95
- Ocean voyage adventure starts at $51.95
- Hollywood movie sites start at $51.95
- Jurassic valley zipline starts at $ 174.95
- Jungle expedition $51.95
- Secret island beach adventure $51.95
- Electric mountain Ebike $119.95
- Malama experience $49.95
- Aloha Aina tour $59.95
- Best of Kualoa experience $149.95
- Kualoa ranch only offers one trail ride tour at this publication.
- A 2-hour tour for an adult is $ 1494.95 and $89.95 for children aged 10- 12. There are a variety of time slots ranging from 8 am to 2 pm.
What To Know
- You need to make reservations in advance.
- 2-hour tour time includes training and safety briefing.
- The minimum age is ten years old.
- The height minimum is 4′ 6″ (1.4m)
- The weight maximum is 230 pounds (104kg)
Address: 49-560 Kamehameha Highway Kaneohe, Hawaii 96744
Phone: (808) 237-7321 or (800) 231-7321
Don’t let the name fool you into thinking that experiencing horseback rides in this ranch gem is superb. Situated on the north shore, Gunstock Ranh will be your home away from home, offering the authentic Paniolo lifestyle.
From the highly knowledgeable wranglers who led the small groups of riders into a fun-filled adventure to the sure-footed horses, you are sure to keep coming back. Gunstock is a working ranch with a variety of different activities and facilities.
They have boarding facilities, livestock sales, rentals, and livestock hauling services. In addition, they have various activities on the ranch that caters to different adventure seekers, including off-roading, Eco Tours, and sponsoring your very own tree.
- 1 ½ hour scenic guided horseback ride at $99
- 1 hour horseback ride $87
- Sunset horseback ride charged at $109
- Kids’ pony rides charged at $55
For a more intimate and private setting, they offer various rides.
Horsemanship Experience ($100)
If you’ve been looking to get dirty and work one on one with a horse, this is your experience. You get to work with one of the experienced wranglers and learn the fundamentals of riding.
The experience is best suited for kids aged seven and above as it’s either a one or 2-hour ride with a customizable pace. This ride is available at 8:00, 1:00, and 4:00 with two riders and above.
Sweetheart HorsebackRride ($168)
There’s nothing better than getting to ride a horse with that special person as you take in all the views that north shore has to offer. This ride is an unforgettable experience that will last you a lifetime.
The ride comes with a complete picnic, where cold cuts sandwiches paired with a sparkling cider will be served. Rides are at 10:30 and 2:30 for a 2-hour ride. Riders should be seven years and above.
Private Sunset Dinner Ride ($199)
Nothing beats enjoying the cool evening Hawaiian breeze on horseback, setting out to the ranches lookout, where a warm cooked meal awaits you and your loved ones by the fireplace.
This ride comes with a full view of the cattle grazing, the ocean, and some wild pigs. It’s a 2-hour walk-only ride with seasonal riding times, and kids should be seven years old and above.
Private Advanced Trail Ride ($142)
This ride caters to riders who want to run fast, canter, and trot with their horses. Before setting out, the wrangler assesses everyone’s riding ability and bases the pace of the ride on the rider with the least experience.
The rides take 1.5 hours for ages 12 and above. Rides are at 8:30 am, and the weight limit is 220 pounds.
Need To Know
- You must book all rides at least 3 hours in advance
- The weight limit is different, varying from ride to ride.
- All tours head out, despite rain or sunshine
- They are closed on Sundays
- Check-in is 30 minutes before riding time with a 15-minute safety briefing.
Address: 56-250 Kamehameha Hwy Kahuku, HI 96731
Email: [email protected]
Hawaii Polo Oceanfront Trail Rides
Hawaii Polo distinguishes itself from the others on this list. It’s one of the few establishments in Hawaii and the only one in Oahu that takes riders down to the shores and lets them play.
Here, guests can ride exquisite ponies along Oahu’s oceanfront, where they are treated to amazing sunsets, green sea turtles feeding, and the occasional Hawaiian monk seal.
This oceanfront is your site if you’ve ever dreamt of riding a horse on the white sandy beaches with the breeze in your hair.
In addition, they offer horse polo lessons on the beach at $128 per rider. Whether you have riding experience, this is an activity you will enjoy.
Beach Horseback Ride
Starting from the Northshore Polo field in Mokuleia, miles from Honolulu, you will be able to reconnect with nature and fall in love once more with the gentle ponies and the ocean.
Sunshine ride at $118
Taking in the ocean views has never been easier.
Sunset ride at $138
Expect to fall in love once more during this tour.
The golden rays of the sun setting make for perfect vacation photos, and this is the perfect ride for anyone whos never ridden a horse before or an experienced rider looking for a more chill ride.
Private rides at $148
This ride is more intimate, whether with that special someone or with a group of friends. You can listen and enjoy the ride without the chatter of others distracting you from enjoying all that’s in front of you.
Remember all the rides mentioned earlier last 90 minutes.
Address: 68-539 Farrington Hwy, Waialua, Oahu, HI 96791-9341
Phone: (808) 321-9900
Email: [email protected]
Turtle Bay Resort
Its located 55 minutes from Honolulu International Airport on the North shore island of Oahu is this oasis. Whether you are a guest at the resort or a non-guest, they have different facilities that will blow you away.
Thus, if you’ve wanted to ride your horse beside the ocean with miles of sand and ocean being the only thing separating you, then look no further than Turtle Bay.
- This ride takes you on a 1 hour guided scenic tour through the resort’s trails.
- Adult (Ages 13 and older): $175
- Child (Ages 7 to 13): $175
- This ride is based on the rider with the least amount of experience. There’s the ability to walk, cantor, and trot through the trails.
- Helmets are required and are provided.
- Meeting at the stables is 15 minutes before riding.
Whether you are a group of friends looking to spend more time in nature or on a family vacation, this is your ride. They offer 45 and 75 minutes rides daily.
One of the most popular rides on the ranch, this 45-minute guided horseback ride will take you through lush forests and the coast to enjoy the most spectacular ocean views.
- 225 lbs weight limit
- For ages 7+
- Available every day from 8:20 am to 1:30 pm.
Learn aspects of horseback riding and equine care, strutting with grooming, saddling, and horse handling skills in the pen.
- Adult (Ages 12 and older): $275
- Child (Ages 7 to 12): $275
- Kids horsemanship 101 $275
For the little ones aged 7-14 looking to brush up on their skills or learn how to take care of horses and riding skills. The ride duration is 2 hours.
This ride costs $52 for 30 minutes. The pony ride is an experience for kids aged six and under where they will get to groom, feed, and ride the pony or a pony-drawn cart at the end of the experience.
Address: 57-091 Kamehameha Highway Kahuku, HI 96731
Now that you have the best horseback riding sites in hand, we hope that you will put this list to good use. However, don’t forget to bring sunscreen, a rain poncho, kiss your horse, and tip your wrangler if they did a good job.