Atlanta offers miles of pristine trails and terrain with your choice of either guided or unguided rides. Here are seven of the best horseback riding sites in Atlanta.
When many people think of Atlanta, they see the tall skyscrapers, vibrant history, and budding music scene. So giddy up and head on to these seven sites that will leave you wanting more.
With over 20 years of combined experience and a love for horsemanship, Ellenwood Equestrian will give you the much-needed dose of Equine therapy.
One of a few equestrian centers that offer English riding lessons with a keen emphasis on dressage, Ellenwood focuses more on horsemanship combining it with riding lessons.
If taking riding lessons seems a bit daunting, they also welcome one-time-only guests: couples, families, or small groups of people looking for a one-time experience. You will receive the same amount of fun and attention.
Other activities at the barn include hosting birthday parties, turn-out services for horses, and summer camps for kids.
Need to know before heading out
- Covid vaccination is mandatory.
- All scheduling should be done by phone, either through calling or text.
- Group lessons: $30.00 per person
- Private lessons: $45.00 per person
Address: 500 Clark Dr. Ellenwood, GA 30294
Serenbe Trail Riding
Experiencing all that Atlanta has to offer on horseback is one of the best things you can do for yourself and your family. If you are a novice rider and feel a bit uneasy about being on a horse, the highly trained wranglers take their time showing you the ropes, and you will be jumping in no time.
In addition, the horses at Serenbe are kind and gentle enough for even the most novice or uneasy riders to unwind and take in all the sights on the trail. They have different packages ranging from individual riders to small groups.
Additionally, they offer an engagement package that will make the moment even more special. Serenbe rides are available by appointment only. All reservations are made online or by calling their phone. However, they have a weight limit of 240lbs, with the minimum age being 12 years for all riders.
- 1-hour standard trail ride $85 per person.
- Picnic trail rides for $110 per person, including lunch by the waterfall from the farmhouse.
- The proposal of $500 includes a private trail ride for two stops at the waterfall and champagne and sweet treats.
When to Go: They are available Tuesday -Sunday.
Phone: 770 463 2610
Address: 10950 Hutcheson Ferry Road, Chattahoochee Hills, GA 30268
Gold City Corral
Nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains is Gold City Corral. A ride here will be one for the books, with miles of trails filled with local flora and fauna.
They offer horse-drawn carriage rides at $60 per couple. Hay wagon rides at $150 per hour for 8-10 people. In addition, there are chuckwagon dinners by the bonfire where you and your family can enjoy grilled chicken and live entertainment.
Their minimum riding age is eight years, and they provide riding helmets for anyone under 18 years.
1-hour trail ride
If you are looking for a more relaxed ride, this is it. It doesn’t require any prior experience, and all ages can enjoy the rides. You will be required to arrive early for the beginner riding lesson.
To make reservations, you will be required to leave your phone number, need the number of guests riding, and a credit card to hold the reservation. The 1-hour trail ride Costs $50 per person plus an 8% sales tax.
2-hour trail ride
Better suited for more confident riders looking to cantor and trot down the forest trails.
All Ages – $100 Per person plus 8% sales tax.
The half-day rides cost $200 per person, including lunch plus 8% sales tax.
Private trail ride
If you are looking for a more private ride, this is your ride. The ride costs an additional $10 per person for the private guide.
When are they available: closed on Tuesday and Wednesday
Phone: (706) 867-9395
Address: 49 Forrest Hills Rd, Dahlonega, GA 30533, USA
Rolling Horse Ranch
If you’ve been looking for the perfect way to decompress and enjoy the cool Atlanta air, Rolling Hills is the ideal site. Its located 30 minutes from downtown Atlanta and will reignite your love for horses. In addition, reconnecting with other equine lovers has never been easier.
Whether you are an experienced rider or a novice rider, their team of highly trained guides will be with you. The ranch offers different activities ranging from guided 1 – hour ATV trail rides charged at $85 per person. For video and photoshoots, it costs $200 per hour.
The 1-hour trail ride is $85 per person.
What you should know
- They require a 50 percent deposit over the phone after a confirmed booking.
- There is no age limit for riders. However, riders under 13 must be in the company of an instructor.
- The weight limit is 220 lbs.
- The booking deposit is non-refundable.
Phone: (678) 882-5913
Address: 3008-b Hathcock Rd, Atlanta, GA 30349, United States
Blue Ridge Mountain Trail Rides
Blue Ridge Mountain Trail Rides has been in business for the past 25 years, where they have been providing safe, fun rides for the whole family. Letting out your inner cowboy or girl is easy when surrounded by the neighboring Cohutta Mountain’s incredibly gentle horses and streams that meander.
They offer trails rides for all levels tailoring the terrain according to every rider’s comfort level.
Whether you are a group of 15 looking to get out into nature or a family with young riders who might not feel ready to get on a big horse, the Blue Mountain Ridge team will ensure everyone is well suited to their horse/pony.
During spring, they offer gem mining and fishing.
- You pay $39 for 1-hour
- $59 for a one and a half hour tour
- Two-hour tour – $79
- The sunset ride from 6:45 – 8:45 is $90 per person
- Sunrise ride from 7:45 – 8:45 is $75 per person
What You Need to know
- Gps, google maps won’t get you to the outpost. Use Waze instead.
- You must be at least eight years old to ride.
- The weight limit is 230 lbs.
- They dont accept double riding.
- Their winter hours – Thurs – Sunday
- Riders should not weigh more than 230 lbs.
- The pony riders should not weigh more than 50 lbs.
Phone: 706. 408. 7433
Address: Hell’s Hollow Adventure Outpost, 319 Hell’s Hollow Road, Blue Ridge, GA 30513
Appalachian Trail Rides
If you’re looking for fun for the whole family, look no further. Located on a 250-acre farm and minutes from Downtown Blue Ridge, Georgia, are the Appalachian Trail Rides. As you step into their stables, S&T, named after the owners’ daughters, you will feel right at home.
Not only do the wranglers understand that every rider is different, but they pair everyone according to their riding ability and level.
Couples and families looking for something different offer a dinner ride where you dismount and head over to the gazebo and pond area after an hour on horseback. Here, you can delight in the live music playing over the bonfire as a dinner consisting of pulled pork, ribs, smoked turkey served with two sides, dessert, and a drink.
If that isn’t to your liking, they also offer proposal rides, dinner rides, and buckaroo rides, and for extra special days, they have customized rides.
- 1-hour trail ride – walk only for ages six and up at $40 credit card, $38 cash.
- Get a 1 – hour private trail ride – walk only for age six and up at $55 credit card $53 cash.
- 1-hour rides for a group of 9 or more for ages six and up at $47 when you pay using a credit card and $45 cash, including gratuity.
- A 2-hour trail ride for ages eight and up and 200 lbs weight limit costs $75 using a credit card and $73 cash.
- 2-hour private trail ride 200lbs weight limit ages eight and up at $105 credit card $103 cash.
- In addition, 2 – hours ride for a group of 9 or more $ 85 credit card $83 cash inclusive of gratuity 200lbs weight limit ages eight and up.
- Pony ride $10 ages five and under and upto 50lbs weight limit
- The proposal ride for one and a half-hour with a private guide ride on a remote trail to a Secluded Romantic Gazebo in the woods by the stream and lake costs $220, including Sparkling Cider.
Phone: (706) 374-0362
Address: 4100 Cutcane Road, Mineral Bluff, GA 30559
Other Places To Ride
If riding in an enclosed area isn’t your speed, several state parks allow you to bring your horse where you can choose to take a trail through the thick, lush forests or along the cliffs and waterfalls.c
They include A.H Stephens State Park (Crawfordville), Cloudland, Canyon State Park (Rising Fawn), F.D Roosevelt State Park (Pine Mountain), Fort Mountain State Park (Chatsworth), General Coffee State Park (Nicholls), Hard Labor Creek State Park (Rutledge) and Watson Mill Bridge State Park (Comer).
When it comes to riding in the south, Atlanta takes the crown. As you ride through the incredible picturesque terrain and hopefully make friends with your horse pals, don’t forget to hug your horse, tip your guide, and have fun.